Upcoming Business of Books events:
March 20 | Write a Successful Query Letter
Hotel 1000, Seattle, WA, 6:30-8:30pm
Kerry and I will walk you through creating an attention-grabbing and business savvy query letter for your book project, no matter the genre. During the two-hour workshop, you’ll learn how to:
- Compose a compelling opening that will knock anyone’s socks off
- Write a query that matches the tone and voice of your manuscript
- Detail all the ways you and your book project are a good business bet
- Distill everything an editor or agent needs to know into succinct letter form
- Use examples of other successful query letters to your advantage
- Research and compile a targeted submission list
By the end of this hands-on workshop, you’ll have a running start on your query letter and a clear plan for capturing the attention of the right agents and editors. A query letter serves as your stand-in, your pitch, your first shot across the publishing bow. We’ll show you how to make every word count. $99.
April 10 | Craft a Winning Book Proposal
Hotel 1000, Seattle, WA, 6:30-9:30pm
We’re also bringing back our most popular class. You may have a terrific book or book idea ready to dazzle the world. Alas, without a spot-on book proposal, it may never see the light of day. Don’t let this happen to you! In this three-hour workshop, learn how to create a savvy and professional proposal that will make publishers and agents sit up and take notice. Two industry insiders will walk you through the key elements of any successful proposal–including title/subtitle, opening pitch, author bio, and marketing ideas–and help you polish each one with hands-on exercises. By crafting a winning proposal, you’ll get your book idea out of the slush pile–and onto the shelves. $149.